Washington St. Cemetery, Norwell
About Washington St. Cemetery, Norwell
In 1892, the Town of Norwell purchased 19 acres of land on Washington Street for a cemetery from the Jacobs family. Upon completion of the layout for the front part of the cemetery land, burials started in 1893. At that time lots cost $10 and $12.
Originally, residents and non-residents could purchase lots. Although space became limited, ownership was restricted to Norwell residents only. A soldier’s monument was placed at the entrance to the cemetery and was dedicated on May 24, 1914.
When the Southeast Expressway was built in the 1950s, the cemetery lost acreage. In fact, several acres are located on the other side of the highway today. Thankfully in 1980, the Town was able to purchase three more acres and expand slightly.