Mayflower Cemetery, Duxbury

About Mayflower Cemetery, Duxbury

The first grave was that of Stephen Russell in 1787, with his burial the Cemetery was established. In 1894 Town Meeting voted to assume the obligation for maintaining the 4 cemeteries which now include both the Smith and Weston Tombs and to establish standards of beauty and decency.  In the same year the town elected its first Board of Cemetery Trustees which comprised of 5 citizens to be responsible for the care and maintenance of the cemeteries.

The main entrance to the cemetery grounds has two Quincy granite posts on either side, these beautiful columns and the spheres that rest atop the posts were a gift from Mr. & Mrs. Ernest H. Bailey both descendants of the passengers on the Mayflower and were erected in 1927.  This same year also saw a gift from Lucy Hathaway in memory of her mother, father and sister, Ms. Hathaway donated the fencing of granite and iron that begins to the left of the entrance and runs down 3A to Mayflower Street.


774 Tremont St, Duxbury, MA 02332

Open Daily 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.